The Alabama Department of Labor in Montgomery has compiled a list of in-demand occupations in Alabama that don't always require a four-year college degree.
The jobs, which vary in education level and skill requirements, range from physical therapy assistants and carpenters to commercial pilots and home health aides.
ADOL Commissioner Fitzgerald Washington said Alabamians entering the workforce for the first time or rejoining it don't necessarily need a formal education to land a well-paying job.
"Higher education is certainly important, and if that's the direction your career choices lead you, that's wonderful," he said in a statement. "If not, there are many other career paths out there in which workers can become just as successful."
The U.S. Census Bureau shows the average 2013 per capita income in Alabama was $23,680. The majority of the positions on ADOL's fast-growing careers list produce average salaries of more than $30,000 per year.
Washington said job seekers should contact their local Career Center to learn more about top occupations, as well as vocational training and certification programs that are often available at no cost. They can also visit joblink.alabama.gov for new career listings.
The top 20 high-demand jobs that do not require a four-year diploma are:
- Physical Therapist Assistants -- $53,714 salary
- Supervisors of Construction Trades & Extraction Workers -- $55,989
- Dental Hygienists -- $46,531
- Computer User Support Specialists -- $45,150
- Registered Nurses -- $55,869
- Engine and Other Machine Assemblers -- $35,687
- Diagnostic Medical Sonographers -- $47,758
- Industrial Machinery Mechanics -- $48,790
- Licensed Practical and Licensed Vocational Nurses -- $35,178
- Medical Secretaries -- $29,313
- Carpenters -- $32,267
- Team Assemblers -- $33,751
- Personal Care Aides -- $17,830
- Home Health Aides -- $19,206
- Computer Controlled Machine Tool Ops, Metal & Plastic -- $33,367
- Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technicians -- $35,849
- Electricians -- $43,197
- Emergency Medical Technicians and Paramedics -- $29,374
- Welding, Soldering, and Brazing Machine Setters, Operators and Tenders -- $34,727
- Occupational Therapy Assistants -- $55,187